TERMS OF REFERENCE - LEADERSHIP AND GOVERNANCE
14 July, 2023
TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR)
TRAINING REGIONAL EXECUTIVE COUNCIL (REC) ON GOVERNANCE AND LEADERSHIP
Southern Africa Federation of the Disabled (SAFOD) is a leading disability-focused network engaged in coordination of activities of organizations of Persons with Disabilities in 16 countries of the Southern Africa region. Our mission is to advocate for the rights of Persons with Disabilities as well as nurturing and strengthening the capacity of affiliates and stakeholders in Southern Africa, to ensure promotion of inclusive development and human rights for persons with disabilities.
SAFOD has successfully implemented activities and programmes over the past 37 years, delivering on its mission through training, research, coordination, information-sharing, promotion of human rights and stimulating persons with disabilities. SAFOD has led the disability agenda in the region and in the continent, influencing governments while positively impacting persons with disabilities at grassroots level through various activities and programmes implemented at national level. We relentlessly continue to build strong relations with international bodies to intensify the disability movement, sitting at forums that open doors to the global world of disability and vigorously lobby and advocate for inclusive policies and programs for persons with disabilities that ultimately also benefit other marginalized groups within the communities.
RATIONALE AND OBJECTIVE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
At the regional level, the federation is governed by the Regional Executive Council (REC). The REC is responsible for all technical operations at the regional level, their main role is to set the overall organizational strategy and provide direction.
Today’s dynamic social development space requires that board members stay informed about the latest practices, trends, and developments. A good governance training program helps to identify and present these issues. Through this training boards assume a proactive position when it comes to risk, opportunity, and strategic assessments and helps them to acquire the skills and confidence to maximise their contributions to the board.
SAFOD therefore seeks to engage an experienced and dynamic consultant to train 8 regional executive council members in leadership and governance. The objective of this training is to ensure members of the REC are fully equipped to execute their duties in an effective and efficient manner.
SCOPE OF ASSIGNMENT
The consultant will be responsible for the following task:
Conduct leadership and governance training for 8 REC members on the following subtopics:
- Leadership (Leadership skills, leadership values, transformational leadership)
- Networking building, management and strengthen (Building trust and social capital, fundraising and more)
- Organisational management and leadership
- Roles and responsibilities of nonprofit boards and board members
- Board governance models, modes, and techniques for generative governance
- Financial literacy
- Ethics and accountability, conflicts of interest
- Conflict management and negotiation.
8 Regional Executive Council members.
LOCATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The training will be held in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The assignment is expected to be completed within 5 days from the date of the Service Contract signing. The expected deliverables from the consultant are as follows:
- Training materials including PowerPoint Presentation, handouts, pre/post-tests, feedback/evaluation forms.
- 1-days of training on Leadership and Governance.
- Documented feedback arising out of the training to participants.
- training report including, feedback analysis report on the exercise, recommendations.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
The desired qualifications and experience of the consultant are as follows:
- A minimum requirement of a master’s degree in business, economics, non-profit management, international development, or any related discipline. Higher degrees, such as a Ph.D., in a relevant field is an added advantage.
- Proven track record of experience in conducting training on governance in the not-for-profit sector.
- Excellent leadership, organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent communication skills including in presentations and report writing.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Good judgement, pays attention to nuance and detail, takes initiative, high sense of responsibility, tact, and discretion, with sensitivity to different cultures.
The proposals will be evaluated in accordance with the SAFOD regulations and criteria. The proposals will be scored against the below criteria. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS
Interested consultants must provide the following:
- financial and technical proposals no longer than 10 pages, outlining proposed methodologies, and a work plan with clear timelines.
- Cover letter (indicating interest and past experiences from similar projects)
- Contact details for referees.
- Company profile and /or Curriculum Vitae
Other supplementary materials submitted shall not be accounted for as part of the 10-page limit.
All proposals must be submitted to SAFOD through email at email@example.com on 02/08/2023. Proposals submitted late will not be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.